Traditional spanish tortilla includes potatoes, onions and eggs. I like to add mushrooms or bell peppers to make it more healthy. I also like my tortilla to have a little extra kick so I season it with some paprika, curry powder and cumin. Alternatively, I make a version with fresh mushrooms, truffles and truffle salt
It is fun to play with the flavor using different spices (in moderate amount of course). Spices are not only great for adding flavor, they contain powerful antioxidants, essential oils and minerals. Traditional cultures have often taken advantage of these properties by using spices in medicine.
- 1-1/2 teaspoon olive oil, or more if needed
- 1 large potatoe, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 mushroom (or about ½ cup), finely chopped (shitake or crimini works the best)
- ¼ cup bunch fresh parsley or green onions, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- curry powder and cumin (1 tsp each)-optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In an ovenproof skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil until it shimmers and place the onions into the skillet, let it cook for about 30 seconds, then add the potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Pan fry the potatoes and onions, stirring and tossing occasionally until they begin to soften (about 10 minutes). Then turn off the stove and let it cool.
- Beat the eggs with 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large bowl. Stir in the parsley and add the potato-onion mixture and chopped mushroom. Lightly combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then gently spoon the egg-potato mixture into the hot skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, and let the mixture simmer for about a minute, or when the edges harden.
- Slide the skillet into the preheated oven, and bake until the omelet is puffed and the top is golden, about 10 minutes. Test it by inserting a fork into the center of the omelet, it should come out clean. Cut the omelet into pie-shaped pieces.
- Serve cold or hot