I love beets! They are nutritious, filling and delicious.
Beets have natural nitrates, which lower your blood pressure and improve blood flow. They also contain high level of antioxidants and their anti-inflammatory properties make them a powerful protector against cancer. The fibers in beets (and carrots) are beneficial for our digestive track (help to fight against colon cancer) and support our cardiovascular system.
Here is a recipe for a fast and easy marinated beets dish that packs in a lot of flavor. Perfect as a side dish and great addition to a salad. Portable and chilled, this beet dish is great for pot luck or picnic as well.
Ingredients: (serving 4)
- 4 beets, cubed
- 1/2 of an onion, cubed
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the beets (peeled) into a saucepan filled with water, and bring it to a boil in medium heat. Once the water is boiled, turn the heat to low and let the beats simmer for another 15 minutes. Note: avoid overcooking as they will be in the skillet later.
- Remove the beets and cut them into cubes.
- In a skillet, cook the cut onion and garlic in olive oil until they become translucent. Add the cut beets, then season with salt and pepper. Toss the mixture for ~3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, olive oil and water together, and whisk the mixture until the ingredients are properly mixed.
- Place the cooked beets/onion/garlic into a sealable container, and pour the vinegar mixture over it.
- Let it marinate in the refrigerator for ~1 hour, and it is ready!