So Vegan Month of Food is here, and we at Practice-Vitality are making the effort. Sometimes, that means broadening your mind. We like to stick to recipes that are healthy, but it turns out that my cousin, hidden away in the beautiful hills of West Virginia, has been baking amazing vegan pastries – I had to display her work! You understand, right? I mean look at them! Plus they are mini-cup-cakes. Its all about portion control, right?
Great. Todays Vegan Mofo theme is “Quick, Easy and Delicious”, and of course I have determined that this recipe is quick and easy and it is definitely delicious! It has been kid-tested, adult approved.
My cousin is a very spiritual person, and she often sends our family lovely little affirmations. In honor of her, here is a positive thought for you to consider while you munch on this delectable morsel of a cup-cake:
“A river of compassion washes away my anger and replaces it with love”
- Can interchange flour and sugar to adjust the sweetness
- Can use brown-sugar
Chocolate Cake (Batter makes 24 mini cupcakes)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated, white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup use vegan butter or any oil of your choice
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 and place rack in the center of the oven.
- In an ungreased mini-cupcake pan, stir together flour, sugar, sifted cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt
- Add melted butter or coconut oil, water, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. With a fork, mix all the ingredients together until well blended.
- Depends on the oven – may need to bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed, and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Check after 13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire-rack to cool.
Vanilla Butter-cream Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbsp almond milk (try adding 1/2 tbsp first, then check consistency. If necessary, add the other half )
- Mix together util blended and creamy
- Add vanilla bean paste and milk and continue to beat for another minute
- If desired, add more vanilla bean paste to taste, or more confectioners sugar to make it stiffer
Serve to guests in an gorgeous display at a party, proudly proclaiming their vegan-ness 🙂