Few months ago, I saw an article online about all the different things you can make on a waffle iron. This inspired me to do my own experiment….making okonomiyaki on a waffle iron! Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancake with veggies- one of my favorite street food as a kid. You can find many okonomiyaki restaurants in Japan, where you get to pick the ingredients that goes into the batter….think of it as a variation from the hibachi restaurants.
Traditional okonomiyaki is packed with different types of shredded vegetables along with either seafood (often shrimp or octopus) or bacon. It is a great dish to make at home because you can use a variety of vegetables (i.e. kale, cabbage, squash, carrots, leeks, chives, etc).
Ingredients: (makes 1 okonomiyaki pancake)
- 1/2 cup of cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup of carrots, shredded
- 1 radicchio leaf, shredded
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoon of water or veggie stock
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Optional: mochi, 1 square
Seasoning to place on top of the okonomiyaki (you can use all/none of the below toppings)
- nori flakes for seasoning (~1 tablespoon)
- vegan mayonnaise
- okonomiyaki sauce, or sub it with worcestershire sauce/teriyaki sauce
- bonito flakes
- For a spicy option: add hot sauce of your choice
- Alternative option: dip okonomiyaki in light soy or dumpling sauce
- Prep the waffle iron. Set it to medium dark, with charred outside and soft inside.
- Combine all the ingredients (except the mochi) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Once the waffle iron is ready, spray some oil on the surface, then pour the batter on the waffle iron. If you are using a mochi, place the mochi square on to the waffle iron first, then pour the batter on and around the mochi (you will probably use less of the batter). If you are using the stove, then do the same thing, except you just need to flip the okonomiyaki to cook both sides evenly.
- Cook until it is slightly browned on the surface.
- Plate the okonomiyaki, and sprinkle on the seasoning(s) of your choice and serve hot!