For me, nothing says comfort better than a bowl of warm porridge. I’ve recently discovered using corn as a grain-substitute for porridge. It is really fast & easy to prepare, so it’s a great meal for when you are short on time. To take advantage of all the fall vegetables, I’ve been making this savory grain-free corn and kale porridge. You can easily substitute the kale for other vegetables, like chard or spinach.
Note: be sure to purchase organic corn to avoid eating genetically modified corns.
- 1 ear of organic corn
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1/4 of yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup of almond/soy milk
- 1 cup of kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup of water
- A dash of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Use a knife, grate the corn kernels into a bowl
- In a large pot, sautee the onion in oil on medium-low heat until they become translucent.
- Add the corn, kale and water to the pot and cook x5 minutes. Then add your choice of soy/almond milk and sea salt. Let the pot simmer for 10-15 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Serve hot with red pepper flakes and ground pepper.