No spice reminds me of the holidays more than cinnamon. Prized by ancient Egyptians as a panacea, it is shown to have many health benefits. Not only is cinnamon great for lowering cholesterol and stabilizing blood sugar, it even helps to fight against a cold or bacterial infection. No wonder this is the perfect holiday spice!
Unfortunately, cinnamon is often associated with desserts and other sugary foods. So I want to share a quick-and-simple savory recipe that uses cinnamon. Plus it is gluten-free! Not only does the cinnamon really enhances the flavor of the cauliflower, these two powerhouse ingredients can boost your immune system and help you stay healthy during the cold winter months.
Ingredients (serves 5)
- 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC, or gas mark 6).
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Place the cut cauliflower in a large bowl and coat evenly with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, sift together the cornmeal, cinnamon, and sea salt. Sprinkle evenly onto cauliflower and toss with your hands until the cauliflowers are well coated.
- Transfer the cauliflower to an ungreased baking sheet, discarding any excess cornmeal. Drizzle lightly with the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil.
- Bake for ~40 minutes without flipping or until the cauliflower is browned on the edges and bottoms.
- Serve hot